How to identify a Chop Shop
Several indicators that are consistently part of illicit “chop shops”
- Presence of numerous engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, truck bed liners, doors, rim and tires, on the ground or against walls or buildings.
- Multiple vehicles in various stages of being dismantled
- Equipment used by these suspects such as electric hoist in trees, or a block hoist for engine or transmission removal from vehicles.
- Cutting tools, to include welding rigs or torches, or other cutting saws used on metal parts.
Location of this shop
- Is normally hidden from the normal view by high fences.
- Sometimes vacant houses will be used at late nighttime hours.
- Large tarps are used to hide the vehicles at this location.
- Suspects working on vehicles in the late night or very early morning hours.
- Vehicles entering into the back of these locations and never coming out.
- Sometimes trailers are seen leaving these locations with vehicle parts or sections that have been cut-up in pieces.
What do and who do I call to help the Police
- Call the Auto Theft Unit at 214-670-5900
- Utilize the “I-Watch” app on your smart phone.
- Email email@example.com
- Call 911