Chase ends in Officer-Involved Shooting

At around 1:20 on April 21, 2014, two officers were walking through the parking lot of the Dallas Inn in the 3300 block of Marvin D. Love Fwy Service Rd.  They were conducting a foot patrol in response to complaints about open-air drug sales, loitering and recurrent prostitution.  They happened upon Michael Mayo and a female sitting inside of a running vehicle.

OIS 4-21-2-14

In the aftermath of the standoff at Southwest Center Mall

As officers approached, they could smell the odor of burning marijuana coming from inside the vehicle and so they began to question Mayo and his associate.  Mayo himself had warrants outstanding for his arrest for probation violations on theft and drug charges. Learning this, officers called for additional officers and the helicopter to assist. Officers described thinking that Mayo might try to flee because of the way he was acting.

The officers continued to talk with Mayo and asked him to step out of the car but he refused to do so.  They continued to talk until the first additional officer arrived to help.  When that officer arrived, everything quickly spiraled downhill.

According to the officers at the scene, Mayo then shoved the car into reverse and accelerated backwards suddenly.  He stopped long enough to put the car into drive and his female companion jumped out of the car. Mayo sped forward and one officer described how he had to move out of the quickly to avoid being struck by the fast escaping car.  Mayo was driving so reckless at that point, he sideswiped the motel itself as he was making his getaway.

Mayo then led officers on a chase through Dallas and Duncanville lasting almost 30 minutes.  During portions of the pursuit, Mayo would stop his vehicle in the road way but invariably, he would flee again.  Officers could see Mayo rummaging through the car and thought he might be reaching for a weapon.  Seeing this they called for the SWAT team.

OIS2 4-21-2-14

Chief Garza prepares to brief assembled media.

Their concerns about a weapon were realized when Mayo pulled into the parking lot of the Southwest Center Mall.  There Mayo exited his car and held a gun to his own head, threatening to kill himself multiple times.  SWAT officers took up positions around Mayo’s vehicle and officers pleaded with him to put the gun down and surrender peacefully. Mayo however, got back into his car as officers tried to communicate with him.

 Mayo refused their attempts and instead, exited his car with the gun a second time. According to officers and witnesses, Mayo then raised the gun and pointed it in the direction of SWAT officers. Three SWAT officers fired at Mayo, striking and killing him. Officers involved in the shooting were:

Senior Corporal Gerardo Huante, #7336 18yrs 4mths Assigned to SWAT
Senior Corporal Robert Hamilton, #7546 16yrs 8mths Assigned to SWAT
Senior Corporal Marshall Milligan, #9454 5yrs 11mths Assigned to SWAT

The above involved officers have been placed on administrative leave, as is customary in these situations.