Officer Involved Shooting

Video from the Press Conference Regarding the Officer Involved Shooting

The following is an update from the Officer Involved Shooting that occurred on August 10th at 400 South Rosemont Avenue.

The involved officer is Senior Corporal Antonio Hudson.  Senior Corporal Hudson has been on the Department for 7 years and is currently assigned to the Southwest Patrol Division.  He has been placed on Administrative Leave per departmental policy.

The deceased is identified as Andrew Scott Gaynier w/m/7-1-1988.  No weapon was found at the scene and there is no indication Gaynier was armed at the time of the incident with Senior Corporal Hudson.  The number of wounds he suffered and their location can’t be confirmed until the autopsy has been completed. 

The shooting was captured on video and confirms that Gaynier rushed Senior Corporal Hudson after attempting to gain entrance into a van occupied by a family as it was being driven down the street.  The video has been collected and is being reviewed by Special Investigative Unit detectives.

Several fact witnesses have been interviewed.  Witness accounts are consistent with the video.  A witness corroborates Senior Corporal Hudson issued verbal commands to Gaynier to “show his hands” prior to the shooting.  No information has been developed at this point to confirm whether or not Gaynier said anything to Senior Corporal Hudson prior to the shooting.

Chief David Brown was briefed by SIU detectives this morning.  He has directed that a thorough investigation of the incident be conducted consistent with departmental policy. 


On August 10, 2014, at approximately 6pm, a 911 call came out in the 100 block of N. Windomere regarding a White male wearing a green shirt, khaki shorts, and a red backpack walking up and down the street making lewd comments to females.  A Dallas officer, working off-duty on Extended Neighborhood Patrol, responded to the location where he saw an individual fitting the description of the suspect.  The officer followed the suspect while waiting on cover.

The officer then observed the suspect stop a vehicle with a family riding inside and attempt to enter into the vehicle.  The officer made contact with the suspect out of concern for the safety of the family.  The officer gave loud verbal commands, but the suspect refused to comply.  The suspect moved toward the officer in a manner perceived to be dangerous to the officer.  The officer shot the suspect.

Officers used a medical kit to render first aid to the suspect until Dallas Fire and Rescue arrived.  The suspect was transported to Methodist Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.  This investigation is ongoing.  The officer was not injured.