Chief David O. Brown Disciplines Employees

Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown disciplined the following officers during hearings this afternoon.

  1. Public Service Officer (PSO) Leroy Sharp, #115341, was involved in the following incident:

On March 21, 2013, PSO Sharp went home early from work due to an illness. When contacted later that night by a supervisor, PSO Sharp said he would need to be off work for a while. By May 1, 2013, all of PSO Sharp’s discretionary leave balances were exhausted. Leave of Absence Request was approved from March 2013 through July 2013.

A second Leave of Absence Request was made through September 2013, but was denied by the chain of command. PSO Sharp was Absent Without Leave for 121 work days between July 16, 2013 and December 31, 2013. An Internal Affairs Investigation concluded that PSO Sharp failed to return to duty after the exhaustion of all his available leave.

PSO Sharp was terminated for his actions. He was hired in September 2012 and was assigned to the Southwest Patrol Division.

  1. Police Officer Doyle Wynn, #8876, was involved in the following incidents:

On November 5, 2013, at approximately 4:19 a.m., Officer Wynn along with two other officers responded to a Major Disturbance call regarding family violence. Officer Wynn was the first officer to arrive and interviewed the complainant. The complainant informed Officer Wynn that she was assaulted by a relative who was still at the location. The complainant also had visible injuries. The officers went to the complainant’s residence where the suspect was still present and waited while the complainant retrieved her personal property and left the location. The officers did not complete an offense report regarding the assault.

An Internal Affairs Investigation concluded that Officer Wynn and the other two officers failed to fully investigate a Family Violence offense and take proper action. It was also determined that Officer Wynn failed to immediately clear upon completion of the call.

During the course of the Internal Affairs investigation, another incident occurred involving Officer Doyle Wynn. On December 20, 2013, at 4:40 a.m., Officer Wynn was dispatched to a Theft in Progress call. At approximately 5:00 a.m., a supervisor observed Officer Wynn asleep on the side of a freeway behind the wheel of his squad car. The supervisor had to tap on the window to wake him and instructed him to proceed to the call. Officer Wynn arrived 37 minutes after the call had been dispatched.

An Internal Affairs investigation concluded that Officer Wynn was sleeping and/or loafing while on duty and that he failed to respond to a call for service without delay.

Office Wynn received a 45 day suspension for his actions. He was hired in June 2006 and was assigned to the Southeast Patrol Division.

  1. Senior Corporal Leslie Richardson, #5460, was involved in the following incident:

On August 25, 2014, at 7:21 a.m., Senior Corporal Richardson volunteered to cover officers on a Burglary in Progress call as he was leaving South Central Patrol Division. While he was enroute to the call, the dispatcher announced a Disturbance Emergency call which required a code 3 lights and siren response. Minutes later, the dispatcher assigned a patrol element to the Disturbance Emergency call. The dispatcher announced the disturbance, threats with a gun and also gave vehicle descriptions of the complainant and suspect. The dispatcher continued broadcasting information over the radio and gave locations (approaching Illinois Avenue) of where the suspect was following the complainant.

At 7:31 a.m., Senior Corporal Richardson was travelling eastbound on Illinois Avenue as the dispatcher announced shots being fired and the suspect ramming the complainant’s vehicle. At 7:32 a.m., while still traveling eastbound on Illinois, Senior Corporal Richardson passed the suspect’s vehicle, which was parked in a grassy area to his right and seconds later approached the complainant’s vehicle. Senior Corporal Richardson pulled alongside the complainant and she began stating, “That’s him, that’s him, right there.” Senior Corporal Richardson responded by stating, “Right here what, baby? I’m on a call,” and drove off. Senior Corporal Richardson continued to drive off as the dispatcher announced to all officers that the suspect was “on Illinois now and that he just grabbed the kids.”

Senior Corporal Richardson arrived at the Burglary in Progress at 7:37 a.m. and left shortly after, but did not immediately clear from the call to make himself available as required by policy.

An Internal Affairs investigation concluded that Senior Corporal Richardson placed persons in greater danger than necessary when he failed to take any action as a police officer and made an inappropriate comment to a citizen. The investigation also concluded that he used tobacco product while driving a Dallas police vehicle and failed to immediately clear upon completion of the call he was assigned.

Senior Corporal Richardson was terminated for his actions. He was hired in August 1986 and assigned to the South Central Patrol Division.

Under civil service rules, all employees have the right to appeal their discipline.

Below is the Dash Cam video of Senior Corporal Richardson’s incident.