Update: June 14, 2015, 5:20 p.m.
There were a total of 14 Dallas Police Officers from various work assignments that engaged the suspect at different points in the incident. All Officers involved have been placed on Administrative leave per departmental policy. Due to the nature and on-going status of this investigation, the Department will not be releasing the involved officers’ names at this time.
Interviews have been scheduled for each officer once their leave has been completed. All involved Officers, including witness Officers will be monitored and counseling will be available.
Dallas Police investigators continue to conduct interviews and canvass all areas where the incident occurred. The medical examiner has received the suspect’s remains and an autopsy is pending. Detectives have been in contact with the suspect’s family.
Our Crime Scene Analysts along with our Federal Partners continue to process all evidence collected in all the areas where this incident occurred. Weapons and ammunition used are still being processed and analyzed at this time. The crime scene outside Dallas Police Headquarters has been cleared, and work to reopen the lobby to the public is on-going.
There is no indication at this time that others were involved in the planning, preparation or execution of this incident.
The community has provided beneficial information to detectives regarding the suspect’s actions at Dallas Police Headquarters. The Department is very appreciative of the public’s assistance and urges anyone with information or video involving this incident to please contact our Detectives at 214-671-3584 or 214-671-3661.
During an 8:30 a.m. press conference, Chief David O. Brown provided additional information and the timeline below:
* 0430 Robot picked up bag at Jack Evans with pipe bombs and it detonated
* 0435 Engine block of suspect vehicle has been shot with .50 cal
* 0438 Suspicious briefcase in dumpster at NE Substation
* 0447 FBI bomb squad en route to NE Substation
* 0507 PD Sniper shot at suspect through front windshield of van. Suspect may be hit. Sending in robot to confirm.
* 0540 planned detonation occurred at DPD headquarters
* 0609 FBI updates that they will relieve DPD as necessary at scene. Also, DPD coordinating with Mesquite Bomb squad at suspects last known residence.
* 0620 All packages at Jack Evans PD HQ cleared (5)
* 0720 WFAA receiving disguised voice calls from an individual claiming to have a bomb
* 0730 North East patrol cleared
* 0810 Bomb robot investigating suspect’s vehicle
3:45 a.m. Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown Press Conference
- On June 13, 2015, at approximately 12:30 a.m., witnesses observed what they believed to be multiple suspects firing gun shots at the Dallas Police Headquarters at 1400 South Lamar Street.
- The suspects were parked in front of headquarters. Patrol elements arrived, at which time the suspects rammed a Dallas Police squad car and began shooting at officers, striking the squad cars.
- There were no officers struck. Officers returned fire at which time the suspect fled the location in what witnesses say is an armored vehicle.
- Officers chased the suspects south of Dallas to the parking lot of a Jack in the Box at 121 South Interstate 45 Service Road in Hutchins at approximately 12:44 a.m.
- While in the parking lot, there was an exchange of gunfire between the suspects and officers. Squad cars were struck, however no officers were injured.
- The suspects refused to exit the vehicle, at which time officers set up a perimeter.
- SWAT has since been called to the scene and began negotiations with the suspects.
- SWAT officers are currently talking to the suspects and working to find a peaceful and safe resolution.
- The suspect gave a name to identify himself as James Boulware, a White male, 5’10”, 200 pounds. This is the name given, however it has not been confirmed that this is the person we are talking to.
- Dallas Police Headquarters and all seven substations are secure. Our Explosives Ordinance Detonation Unit is investigating four suspicious bags left in front of Dallas Police Headquarters. One bag is confirmed to have explosives inside, pipe bombs.
- We are in process of evacuating residents of the Southside on Lamar Complex, located at 1409 South Lamar Street.
- No Dallas police officers have been injured. This is preliminary information and we are working diligently to gather more details regarding this incident.
- We will provide more updates as soon as we gather more information. We are active on Twitter, Facebook and DPDBeat.com.
- At this time we cannot confirm the suspect’s motive. We also appreciate the help and support of other agencies such as DSO, Hutchins PD, Garland PD, Mesquite PD, the FBI and DPS.