Officer Involved Shooting at 3600 Penelope Street

Summary, September 3, 2015 @ 5:00 pm.: On August 27, 2015, Witness Davis drove Subject Davis to a location at 1600 Fitzhugh Ave. to purchase narcotics where he became involved in a disturbance.  Subject Davis then produced a pistol and used it to threaten other persons at the Fitzhugh location.  He became involved in a disturbance and was cut on the hand. 

Witness Davis (who is the Subject’s wife) stated that she then drove Subject Davis to the residence at the 3600 block of Penelope Street.  Subject Davis entered the residence and began a disturbance with a male witness, who ran out of the location and called the police. The male witness reported the confrontation and added that Subject Davis was setting the residence on fire. A robbery in progress call sheet was generated and officers were dispatched. 

The initial officers who arrived at the scene observed Subject Davis walk from behind the residence, which was now on fire. The subject was verbally non-compliant. Other officers and DFR responded to the scene. They attempted to place Subject Davis in handcuff, when he became violent and fought the officers. Officers deployed their TASERs which were ineffective on Subject Davis. 

Subject Davis remained combative and entered his wife’s vehicle. Officers observed Subject Davis holding a gun and one of the officers discharged his weapon, striking Subject Davis.  DFR paramedics began treating the subject and found a box cutter in his waistband.  Subject Davis was pronounced deceased a short time later at Baylor Hospital.  A black gun was found in that vehicle.  The gun resembles a semi-automatic pistol, but is a pellet gun.

 UPDATE: August 28, 2015

Update to the officer-involved shooting at 3600 Penelope Street on August 27, 2015.

The deceased subject is:

Bertrand Davis B/M 5-7-1972

The following officer discharged his Taser and his weapon:

P.O. Matthew Terry #8915           W/M     8 years 11 months           Metro

The following officers discharged their Tasers:

Sr. Cpl. Scott Neal #9065               W/M     8 years 5 months              Metro

P.O. Rory Jones #9804                   B/M       30 years 7 months           Southeast Patrol

The following officers were involved in attempting to arrest the subject:

P.O. Tyler Mills #9830                     W/M     6 years 4 months              Southeast CRT

P.O. Joe King #7482                         L/M        18 years 7 months           Southeast CRT

Sr. Cpl. Lucas Flores III #5946       L/M        26 years 7 months           Southeast Patrol

P.O. Bryan Joseph #9479              B/M       7 years 3 months              Southeast Patrol

P.O. Kevin Thomas #10816           B/M       1 year 3 months                Southeast Patrol

P.O. Rachel Rice #10869                W/F       1 year                                    Southeast Patrol

The involved officers have not yet been interviewed. The officer who discharged his weapon has been placed on routine administrative leave per policy.  The investigation is on-going and we anticipate being able to release a more complete account of what occurred in the coming days.

Anyone with additional information about the incident or cell phone video is encouraged to contact the Dallas Police Department’s Special Investigative Unit at 214.671.3584.

ORIGINAL POST DATE : August 27, 2015

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at approximately 1:30 PM, officers responded to a call regarding a robbery in progress in the 3600 block of Penelope Street. The call sheet officers received indicated that suspect might be armed.  A subsequent call sheet indicated there was also a fire at the location. Dallas Fire Rescue and Dallas Police arrived at the location.

Upon arrival, officers observed the suspect in the corner of a vacant lot near the call location.  Officers approached the suspect to identify him. The officers gave loud verbal commands ordering the suspect to show his hands. The suspect did not comply. The suspect threw some of his personal items at the officers and a struggle ensued.  The suspect then fled from police in an attempt to get in a vehicle.

Additional officers arrived at the scene, at which time a Taser was deployed, striking the suspect. The Taser was ineffective and the suspect continued to resist officers. The struggle continued and the suspect was able to make entry into his vehicle. One of the officers involved in the struggle discharged his weapon, striking the suspect one time.  Emergency medical personnel were called to the scene. The suspect was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

This incident remains under investigation.  Per policy, the officer will be placed on routine administrative leave and the Dallas District Attorney’s Office is conducting a concurrent investigation of this incident.  Notification has been made to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Dallas Office.

Notification of next of kin has not been made.

The suspect has an extensive criminal history involving violent crimes and drug possession.