Shawn Diamond is still in the hospital. He is being charged with Assault Family Violence M/C and Aggravated Assault Public Servant.
Original Post:Jun 10, 2016 6:08 PM
Chief David O. Brown will be holding a press conference at 6:35pm in the Media Conference Room at 1400 S. Lamar Street.
- At approximately 12:05 pm today, Suspect Shawn Diamond, a B/M/29 was being dropped off at Love Field Airport by his ex-girlfriend.
- The following is a brief chronology of how and why the ex-girlfriend and Suspect Diamond were at the airport and what happened after they arrived.
- An arrest report from Carrollton Police Department indicates that on Monday, June 6, 2016, Suspect Diamond left his place of employment in State of Maryland and drove to his ex-girlfriend’s residence located in Dallas.
- The ex-girlfriend became fearful of Suspect Diamond and walked away from him, getting into her car. Suspect Diamond drove away from the location and intentionally steered his vehicle into trees planted in the center median of Marsh Lane in Carrollton, TX.
- Suspect Diamond was arrested and charged with Criminal Mischief for the damage to the trees.
- When Suspect Diamond was released from jail, his ex-girlfriend agreed to take him to the airport to fly home. While on the way to the airport, the ex-girlfriend alleges that Suspect Diamond became angry and struck her.
- Upon arrival at Love Field, airport security video shows the ex-girlfriend unloading bags and clothing from her vehicle.
- When Suspect Diamond exits the vehicle, he picks up a traffic cone and smashes the rear window of the ex-girlfriend’s car. He then repeatedly strikes the front windshield of her car with the cone.
- Suspect Diamond then picks up several large rocks from the nearby landscaping and uses them to break out windows of the car. A uniformed Dallas Police officer assigned to Love Field arrives at the scene and is observed attempting to get the ex-girlfriend to move away from the vehicle and Suspect Diamond.
- Suspect Diamond then begins to approach the officer in a threatening demeanor with a rock in each hand. The officer draws his handgun and attempts to gain distance from Suspect Diamond by backing up. A second Dallas officer approaches and draws his Taser.
- At one point, the video shows Suspect Diamond make a swift movement, appearing to try to circle around the officer.
- Shortly thereafter, Suspect Diamond makes a quick approach directly at the officer. The officer then fires his weapon and Suspect Diamond falls to the ground.
- Additional camera footage shows the officer giving Suspect Diamond verbal commands to stay down. Suspect Diamond disregards these commands and with a rock still in his hands, gets up and charges the officer again.
- In response to this threat, the officer discharges his handgun several times. At this time, it is undetermined how many times Suspect Diamond was struck.
- Suspect Diamond was transported to a local hospital where he is in stable condition.
- Witnesses reported that during the incident Suspect Diamond made statements to the officer such as “You’re going to have to shoot me”.
- The involved officer will be placed on Administrative Leave per departmental policy. The Special Investigations Unit of the Crimes Against Persons Division will be responsible for conducting the investigation into the Officer Involved Shooting.