The National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) and the Dallas Police Department recommends the following tips to prevent citizens from becoming victims of auto theft and break-ins.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with keys in the ignition
- Lock your doors and keep the windows closed, even when parked in front of your home
- Park in busy and well-lit areas
- Do not leave in plain view valuables such as GPS, GPS holder, cell phone, iPads, etc.
- Equip your vehicle with an alarm or other anti-theft devices
- Never leave your vehicle registration or other personal documents in your vehicle
Following these safety tips should help prevent you from becoming a victim of auto theft and/or break-ins. But if you do become a victim of auto theft, report it immediately. Provide local authorities with the make/model/license plate and vehicle ID number (VIN). A good idea is to keep a photo of your vehicle with the license plate number on your smartphone so that you can show officers. This will help get your vehicle information into the National Database faster.