As we approach one of the busiest holidays of the year, we want to remind you of some safety tips to ensure your family remains safe throughout the holiday season.
The National Crime Prevention Council suggests the following safety tips to help you shop safely while getting those great holiday bargains throughout the shopping season.
• Do not buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by taking a friend with you or ask a store employee to help you carry your packages to the car.
• Shop online with companies you know and trust. Check a company’s background if you are not familiar with it. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
• Save all receipts. Print and save all confirmations from your online purchases. Start a file folder to keep all receipts together and to help you verify credit card or bank statements as they come in.
• Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
• Do not leave packages visible in your car windows. Lock them in the trunk or, if possible, take them directly home.
• If you are shopping with children, make a plan in case you get separated. Select a central meeting place and make sure they know they can ask mall personnel or store security employees if they need help.
Keep in mind that criminals are always window shopping. Regardless of the weather, criminals are always waiting for the opportunity to strike. According to the Texas Auto Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority (ABTPA), vehicles are burglarized every two minutes and stolen every eight minutes in the state of Texas. These crimes can escalate during the holiday seasons when drivers frequently shop for gifts and travel to visit friends and family. Therefore, try to remember these three words, Lock Take and Hide, every time and anywhere you park your vehicle. Lock your car every time you leave it unattended. Take your property with you. Hide the property you wish not to take with you so as not to be seen by those passing by. We hope these safety tips will help in making your holiday season a joyous occasion. Happy Holidays!!!