The safety of the citizens of Dallas is the number one concern of the Dallas Police Department. We encourage all to celebrate with family and friends during the holiday season, but urge everyone to celebrate responsibly. If you are going out to celebrate, be sure not to drink and drive. Have a designated driver. Another alternative is ride sharing services. These services are convenient and perhaps very economical. If you choose to use a ride sharing service, we ask citizens to remain watchful and be mindful of some of the following safety tips:
- Verify the identity of the driver and their car before you get in. Ask the driver his name.
- Do not volunteer your name to the driver. The driver should address the rider by name. This could help prevent riders from getting in a car with an impostor posing as an Uber or Lyft driver.
- Sit in the back seat, not the front passenger seat.
- Share your trip details with a friend, which includes estimated time of arrival and specific route.
- Monitor your location on your phone and pay attention to street signs and roads being used to make sure you are on the right path.
- If you have to call 911 during a ride, be sure that you give them your address, direction of travel, and description of the vehicle/driver.
These are a few things to keep in mind while rejoicing with family and friends. Please call 9-1-1 if you ever feel that you are in any danger.