Shooting Incident on Reynolds Ave.

Update: May 2, 2017, Press Conference by Assistant Chief Blankenbaker at 11:30 a.m.

The purpose of today’s briefing is to provide an update to the events that occurred on Reynolds Avenue yesterday and provide you with additional information that we have learned from our investigation to this point.  This investigation is being conducted by our Special Investigations Unit and I want to begin by expressing appreciation to them for their tireless efforts yesterday and into the early morning hours this morning to begin to piece together the events that transpired yesterday.  Their work is ongoing and a great deal of investigative activities remain to be done to complete this investigation.  We will attempt to update you as appropriate during the course of the investigation. 

What we have learned is that our suspect, Derick Brown B/M/36 had been acting erratically in his home yesterday morning.  At some point the suspect took his roommate Mr. Arthur Riggings B/M/67 into a back room of the home and shot him, causing his death.  The suspect’s girlfriend, who was in the home, then fled the location.  A neighbor apparently heard the gunshots and came outside to determine their origin.  This victim, a 24-year-old Latin male, was then shot by the suspect and collapsed on the ground.  The Latin male victim was discovered by paramedics who were responding to a possible suicide call that came in to 911 at 11:30 a.m. 

The address provided on this call was inaccurate, however, paramedics located the Latin male victim lying on the ground.  As they proceeded to attempt to render aid to the victim, the suspect began to fire upon the paramedics with a rifle.  This rifle is a 7.62 caliber semi-automatic rifle and is currently being processed by our Crime Scene Response Section. One paramedic was able to escape, however, one was shot and critically wounded. 

The first Dallas Police officers to arrive on the scene at 11:36 a.m. were Officer William Bruce Jr #10503 and Thomas McPherson #10696.  They observed the suspect still outside with the rifle.  The suspect directed fire at them and they took cover.  Officer Bruce sustained a minor calf injury possibly from bullet fragments.  Very soon after, officers Matthew Merta #8830 and his partner arrived at the location and as they approached, the suspect had returned to his yard.  He turned to point his rifle at officer Merta and Merta’s partner, who is a 1 year, 2 month veteran of the department assigned to Southeast Patrol discharged his shotgun at suspect.  We believe that the suspect was struck by one pellet causing a non-life threatening wound.  He retreated to his house in the 3200 block of Reynolds Avenue. 

Additional officers began to arrive on the scene, including Sgt. Robert Watson #8668, Officers Christian Jackson #10329, Gary Green #10343, Gabriel Pina #10333 and Mathew Kalash #10320.  Officer Merta, Sgt. Watson and Officer Kalash placed the critically injured paramedic in the sergeant’s car and the sergeant transported him to Baylor Hospital.  Officers Jackson, Green and Pina pulled the Latin male victim to safety so he could be transported to the hospital.  Each of these events took place while the officers were still exposed to potential gunfire from the suspect. All of these officer’s actions are more than commendable and should be considered heroic. 

After the injured were evacuated, a perimeter was established, SWAT officers utilized a robot to enter the home where the suspect and Mr. Riggings were found deceased.  At this time, it appears that the suspect took his own life by gunshot. 

The suspect has a criminal record that includes Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Possession of a Controlled Substance, Unlawful Carry of a Handgun by a License Holder and DUI. 

UPDATE: May 1, 2017, City Hall News Release at 5:10 p.m.

 The EMT paramedic is out of surgery, remains in ICU but may have to undergo additional surgeries.  

A Dallas resident who was wounded during the incident is also in ICU.

Dallas Police Department sent a robot into the residence where it was determined two individuals inside the house were deceased. One is believed to be the suspect. The deceased have not yet been identified.

There is still a small area that remains closed while the investigation continues. We will continue to provide updates as information becomes available.

May 1, 2017, City Hall News Release at 2:10 p.m.

Dallas Fire Rescue arrived on the scene where a civilian had been shot and immediately began treatment.

During this time, the suspect approached the area then opened fire; ultimately an EMT paramedic was wounded.

A Dallas Police Officer, observing the condition of the EMT paramedic, transported him to Baylor Hospital where he remains in surgery with a prognosis of critical, but stable.  Dallas SWAT Officers are onsite and searching for the suspect who they believe is still in the vicinity.

We will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.

May 1, 2017, City Hall News Release at 12:30 p.m.

Today at approximately 11:31 a.m., there was a shooting call in the 3200 block of Reynolds Ave. where a Dallas Fire-Rescue EMT Unit was struck and an EMT paramedic was injured.

This occurred in the vicinity near the Dolphin Road Fire Training Academy. The paramedic was transported to Baylor Hospital and is undergoing surgery. Dallas Police and Dallas Fire Rescue are collaborating on this issue.

This remains an active scene and we will provide additional information as it becomes available.