Prevent Auto Theft and Burglary!!!
As the holiday season ends and cold weather sets in the Dallas Police Auto Theft Unit and ABTPA wants to remind everyone to protect your property, lock your vehicle and tailgate to prevent theft and burglaries and to NEVER LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE UNATTENDED WHILE RUNNING.
The Auto Burglary Theft Prevention Authority (ABTPA) and the Dallas Police Department recommends the following tips to prevent citizens from becoming victims of auto theft and break-ins.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with keys in the ignition
- Lock your doors and keep the windows closed, even when parked in front of your home
- Do Not Leave Extra Keys in the Vehicle.
- Park in busy and well-lit areas
- Do not leave valuables (GPS, GPS holder, cell phone, iPads, etc.) in view
- Equip your vehicle with an alarm or other anti-theft devices
- Never leave your vehicle registration or other personal documents in your vehicle
- LOCK YOUR TAILGATE…
Following these safety tips should help prevent you from becoming a victim of auto theft and/or break-ins. But if you do become a victim of auto theft, report it immediately. Provide local authorities with the make/model/license plate and vehicle ID number (VIN). A good idea is to keep a photo of your vehicle with the license plate number on your smartphone so that you can show officers. This will help get your vehicle information into the National Database faster.