Prevent Auto Theft and Burglary!!!
The Auto Burglary Theft Prevention Authority (ABTPA) and the Dallas Police Department recommends the following tips to prevent citizens from becoming victims of auto theft and break-ins while attending fitness locations.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with keys in the ignition.
- Do Not Leave Extra Keys in the Vehicle.
- Park in busy and well-lit areas
- Do not leave valuables (GPS, GPS holder, cell phone, iPads, etc.) in view
- Equip your vehicle with an alarm or other anti-theft devices
- Never leave your vehicle registration or other personal documents in your vehicle.
- Secure & lock your gym locker with a heavy-duty combination or padlock.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any strange activity to police and the fitness location.
A trend was identified where suspects would find car keys and credit cards in unlocked lockers and obtain access to the vehicles. On occasion the suspects would cut small, light steel locks to gain access. Make sure to use a heavy-duty lock.
Following these safety tips should help prevent you from becoming a victim of auto theft and/or break-ins. But if you do become a victim of auto theft, report it immediately. Provide local authorities with the make/model/license plate and vehicle ID number (VIN). A good idea is to keep a photo of your vehicle with the license plate number on your smartphone so that you can show officers. This will help get your vehicle information into the National Database faster.