The New Years holiday is quickly approaching and the Dallas Police Department would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday start to the new year.
We all love a good fireworks show, but keep in mind that fireworks are illegal in the Dallas city limits. We encourage everyone to watch the the fireworks show from Reunion Tower’s Over the Top show. But if you’d like to enjoy some food trucks and live entertainment, the “New Years Eve Party on the Plaza” is the place to be. This event starts at 7:00 p.m., and is free to the public. For more details on this event, click on the following. Party on the Plaza.
If you do decided to go out on the town, please be responsible if you decide to drink and drive. We will be out in force looking for those Driving While Intoxicated. In addition, we would like to share the following safety tips in hope that they will make your holiday experience more enjoyable.
- Celebratory gunfire is illegal and extremely dangerous.
- What goes up must come down… Bullets shot up simply do not disappear.
- Celebratory gunfire has wounded hundreds and killed dozens in recent years in the United States alone.
- If you see suspicious behavior, contact authorities. Sometimes, people simply aren’t aware of just how risky and unsafe celebratory gunfire can be.
- A single bullet fired in the air can come down at speeds up to 300 feet per second. The results could be property damage, serious bodily injuries and perhaps death.
- Report celebratory gunfire by calling 911 or the iWatch Dallas app.
- Plan ahead by naming a designated driver before any drinking begins.
- Offer a non-alcoholic option.
- Remember, drinking may lower your inhibitions.
- if you do drink, consider a taxi, public transportation, or sober friends or family members. The holiday cab is also still an option through this weekend.
- Trust your instincts.
- While out, be careful what you post online. Don’t alert others that you aren’t home.
- Report suspected drunk drivers by calling 911.
On behalf of the Dallas Police Department, we wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year!