- Gov. Abbott has declared a state of emergency for the entire state of Texas, activating the National Guard. Between 120 and 150 National Guard officers in Grand Prairie are available if needed.
- Mayor Johnson has signed an emergency declaration giving City Manager Broadnax & Chief Hall authority to institute a curfew beginning this evening from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. The boundaries are Oak Lawn to the north, Riverfront to the west, Corinth to the south, and Peak to the east including downtown, Deep Ellum, the Farmers Market, Cedars, Uptown, and Victory Park. We are working with organizations and partners in these areas to communicate with their residents, businesses, and other stakeholders. Businesses are urged to close at 5 p.m. so all patrons and employees may avoid harm.
- The City of Dallas and DPD continue to respect and protect the rights of peaceful protestors gathering within our city. We are aware of peaceful protests and vigils scheduled to begin prior to the curfew including those at the Omni and Freedman’s Cemetery at 3 p.m.; Jack Evans Police HQ at 5 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.; and Klyde Warren Park at 5:30 p.m. DPD will have a presence protecting peaceful protestors, residents, and business’ owners, patrons, and employees; managing traffic; and vigilantly looking to remove or control bricks or anything else which may be used to harm people, vandalize or destroy property, or aid in other criminal mischief.
- Business owners and residents are strongly urged not to take matters in to their own hands and to call 9-1-1 if they continue to see violence, destruction of personal property, vandalism, or other criminal mischief.
- We encourage all residents and visitors to be mindful of the curfew and comply to ensure we may continue to keep residents, business owners & employees, peaceful demonstrators, and first responders safe. Residents or employees who live or work in the curfew area should be prepared to show proof of residency or work credentials if they need to travel in or out of the area while curfew is in effect.
- We are still in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and Dallas residents are safest at home and urged to continue exercising personal responsibility and practicing safe social distancing.
- We will provide social media graphics shortly and will continue to provide information for you to keep your constituents informed as it becomes available.
- Note: University Park and Highland Park will institute a similar curfew.
You must be logged in to post a comment.