According to SafeKids.org, children as young as three years old may be strong enough to pull the trigger of a handgun. Three out of four children living in a house with a gun know where the gun is, even when their parents think they don’t know. Below are some tips parents and caregivers can follow to prevent gun-related tragedies.
- Keep guns out of the reach and out of sight of children by storing them securely. Leaving guns unsecured – on a nightstand, table, or other places where a child can gain access – can lead to injuries and fatalities.
- Store guns unloaded and secured with effective, child-resistant gun locks in a locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store ammunition in a separate locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Use combination locks and safes, or safes that use fingerprint recognition locks. Keep the combinations carefully hidden.
- If you carry a gun in your car, make sure to outfit your vehicle with a lockable container so you can securely store the gun when you exit the vehicle.
Please share these important safety tips with your childcare providers, teachers, relatives, friends, family, and neighbors… It could save a life!