Before we know it, it will be time to go back to school. The Dallas Police Department would like to remind everyone of a few safety tips to keep our kids safe as they travel to and from school.
- Map out a safe way for your child to walk to school or the bus stop. If possible, avoid crossing busy roads, vacant lots, construction areas, and parks where there aren’t many people. Also, talk to kids about safe places to go in case of an emergency along the route.
- Make sure kids follow traffic signals and rules when walking or biking.
- Remind children not to talk to strangers or people you “sort of know.” Also, do not go anywhere with them without your parents’ permission.
- Have your children memorize your phone number and address. Write down important phone numbers like your parent’s work and cell phone on a card to carry with you.
- Use the buddy system and walk/bike to school with friends.
- Never play, push, or shove others when walking around traffic.
- Avoid wearing clothing with your name on it while walking to and from school.
- If home alone before or after school, don’t open the door if someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door or windows. Don’t tell strangers or people you “sort of know” you’re by yourself before or after school.
- If you are allowed to have a cell phone, make sure it has a full charge when going to school. Make sure you save enough battery to get home.
- Be sure your children know their address and phone number.
As always, if there’s any emergency, call 9-1-1- immediately. The Dallas Police Department would like to wish everyone a happy and safe return to school!