The Police Department, in serving the people of Dallas, strives to reduce crime and provide a safe city by:
- Recognizing that its goal is to help people and provide assistance at every opportunity;
- Providing preventive, investigative, and enforcement services;
- Increasing citizen satisfaction with public safety and obtaining community cooperation through the Department’s training, skills, and efforts; and
- Realizing that the Police Department alone cannot control crime, but must act in concert with the community and the rest of the Criminal Justice System.
In achieving this mission, the men and women of the Dallas Police Department will conduct themselves in an ethical manner. They will:
- Respect and protect the rights of citizens as determined by the law;
- Treat citizens and their fellow employees courteously and with the same amount of dignity with which they expect to be treated themselves;
- Be examples of honesty and integrity in their professional and personal lives, thereby earning the public trust;
- Perform their duties with the knowledge that protection of the lives and property of all citizens is their primary duty; and
- Comply with the spirit and letter of the Code of Conduct.