The Dallas Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are interested in a career with the Dallas Police Department, call (214) 671-4409 or (800) 527-2948 or email us at email@example.com.
To be considered for the Dallas Police Department, an applicant must:
1. Be a U. S. citizen.
2. Be 19 ½ years of age (60 hours from an accredited college – minimum 2.0 GPA) or Be 21 – 44 years of age (45 hours from an accredited college – minimum 2.0 GPA)
3. Have a valid driver license.
4. Must not have committed any felony or Class A Misdemeanor.
5. Have no Class B Misdemeanor convictions within the last 10 years.
6. College credit requirement will be waived if you have three (3) years of active military service and an honorable discharge, as stipulated on your DD-214.
7. Physical Fitness
8. No worse than 20/100 vision rating in either eye, correctable to 20/20.
9. No pending traffic citations or court cases.
10. Must not have been convicted of three (3) or more hazardous traffic violations in the last twenty-four (24) months. (Does not include “Deferred Adjudication” or “Driver’s Safety Course.”)
Applicant Processing Steps
1. Preliminary Interview—You will be asked about your driving history and any criminal record or illegal drug use. We will discuss with you any questions you may have regarding the application process, time required for training, etc.
2. Applicant Interview Board—You will be given an oral interview before a board of police officers and supervisors, during which you will be interviewed on a variety of police and non-police topics.
3. Polygraph Examination—Determines the validity of the answers given on previous questionnaires and interviews.
4. Background Investigation—Checks your work record, your background and the opinions and statements of people you list as references. You must also complete a personal history statement provided by the Department.
5. Psychological Examination—Includes a three-hour written exam and an interview with a psychologist.
6. Medical Examination—Includes a physical exam and urinalysis.
Physical Fitness Test: (Appropriate Athletic Wear Required)
* Vertical Jump (6.5 inches)
* Bench Press (56% of your body weight)
* Illinois Shuttle Run (24.9 seconds)
* Sit-ups (14 in 1 minute)
* 300 Meter Run (110 seconds)
* Push-ups (4 in 1 minute)
* 1.5 Miles Run (19.09 minutes)
1. Valid United States Driver’s License
2. Social Security Card
3. Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
4. (2) Official College Transcripts (if applicable)
5. High School Transcripts (certified or official) or GED
6. Marriage License (if applicable)
7. Divorce Decree (if applicable)
8. DD-214 (if applicable)
9. City of Dallas Employment Application (Civil Service Application) available on-line
10. Personal History Statement- available on-line
Applicants must have all applicable documents prior to testing!
The following is a summary of the testing options available. Interested applicants should contact a recruiter for information regarding their specific situation.
OUT OF TOWN APPLICANTS WISHING TO TEST SHOULD CONTACT A RECRUITER BEFORE MAKING TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
The City of Dallas and the Dallas Police Department accepts applications and conducts testing on a monthly basis. In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, all applicants must have the required documents in order to begin the testing process.
Applicants may complete “PHASE I” testing over a four to five (4-5) day period (Wednesday – Sunday)
If you wish to complete the “Monthly Testing” process, you must:
1. Complete the City of Dallas On Line Civil Service Application
2. Print out and retain a copy of your completed application
3. Mail or deliver in person, a sealed official college transcript to:
City of Dallas Civil Service Office
Dallas City Hall
1500 Marilla Street
Room 1-C South
Dallas, Texas 75201
4. Your completed Civil Service Application and submitted documents will be reviewed by a Civil Service Representative
5. Subsequent to this review you will be notified of your Civil Service test date and time
You must bring ALL required documents (as specified on this site) to the Jack Evans HQ immediately after Civil Service Testing.
You must contact a recruiter prior to taking the Civil Service Test.